Monday, December 10, 2007

Mad as a brush

The antics of FIA boss Max Mosley continue to astound just about everyone. He's now gone off and sued Britain's Sunday Times over an article penned by F1 commentator Martin Brundle in September, critical of the whole McLaren spy affair.

I know it's been said many times before by many other people, but this man simply has to go. There's no doubt that his antics have harmed the sport in the past year and I'm sure will continue to do so. I remember back when Jean-Marie Balestre was ousted - the sense of relief in the racing world was palpable. When Mosley is finally given the chop you can expect the same.

But what others are tending to miss is the fact that Max is not just in charge of Formula 1 rule-making. He's responsible for ALL FIA-sanctioned motorsport, and perhaps more importantly the organization's automobile advocacy worldwide. What concerns me is that if he seems this nutty in regards to F1 rule-making, what kind of an effect is he having on road-safety efforts? What bizarre schemes is he dreaming up, and which other safety advocates is he suing for daring to question his decisions?

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Max is a politician.
Just like his father...

Anonymous said...

When even Neil writes about the madness of Max, I know that things have gone too far. If I may make a minor point, however, I think most F1 fans know that he's responsible for all FIA-sanctioned motor sport but he seems to have made F1 his particular toy and apparently spends more time on it than anything else (with results that we have seen this year). And, apart from that, F1 is what we care about most passionately and so we yell when someone is ruining it!

Nicebloke said...

Haha, too true Clive! It's a rare thing when I allow myself to get worked up over F1 politics - but in a face off between a power-hungry administrator from a family of fascists, versus someone who is basically "one of us" (a knowledgeable pundit) I have to stand with my brothers in arms...

Patrick said...

Max is beginning to remind me of Jean Marie Balestre circa 1991 (whose connections with fascism have been rumoured to be rather more direct than those of Mosley Jr)

The trouble is, it's far from clear who's going to depose him.