Monday, August 07, 2006

Go Jens!

First off, I'm going to hold off on X-Games commentary for this post at least. It's too exciting to be buried in a "weekend wrap-up"-type posting.

I think it's fair to say that the happiest bloke in the world right now is Jenson Button. He finally broke his duck and won the Hungarian Grand Prix in bizarre circumstances. I've always felt that ole Jens was easily a potential winner, so I was pretty disappointed when he moved from Williams to what was BAR and is now Honda. Until you have a decent car under you, it doesn't matter how fast you are - you won't win (see a certain F. Alonso for more info - he never won any races in a Minardi....) Anyway, here's to our lad Button, God Save the Queen, blah, blah, blah. I'm wearing my Jenson t-shirt today to celebrate.

The other main racing activity this weekend was of the Superbike sort. The AMA series was at Mid-Ohio, and once again Ben Spies was dominant. I don't know what it'll take to get the non-Suzuki teams to be competitive, but right now (and actually for the past few years) this is getting pretty boring. I ended up fast-forwarding much of race two, as Spies cleared off, leaving Mat Mladin and Miguel Duhamel (two of my least favourite riders, Mladin being a prick and Duhamel being a corporate puppet) to fight for second.

Over at Brands Hatch, the World Superbike boys were fighting it out. I've seen race one, no thanks to Speed Channel who are showing the races on Tuesday. I'll watch race two tonight and might have a thing to say about it tomorrow.

No comments: